This short course is intended for everyone handling loads. However, it is most appropriate and recommended for new port workers who have experience as a slinger. Also good for refreshing existing knowledge.
• Dockers can be trained as signallers after completing additional training and receiving signaller’s certificate.
• The signaller's main duty is to coordinate the work (loading and unloading) of various types of trucks (collectively - “cranes”).
• All personnel operating the cranes as well as the personnel working in the vicinity of the cranes’ zone of operation must strictly follow all signaller’s commands and instructions.
• The signaller is subordinated to the foreman and the head of operations.
• When performing the duties, the signaller has to wear distinctive high-visibility orange reflective personal safety vest and carry the certificate of the signaller.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
• Establish the weight and dimensions of loads and communicate this information to the crane operator;
• Initiate and direct the safe movement of the crane and load;
• Use clear and unambiguous signals to direct the actions of a crane moving loads of various weights and dimensions;
• Determine the serviceability of lifting accessories, maintain and store them;
• Identify workplace hazards during the operation; and
• Ensure the safety of the operators and any other workers or site visitors that could be at risk.
Download a Course Brochure